Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Chapter 5: Be Gentle with Me

_________________________________________________________


"War?" Auberon gasps at Moth's report, "Just because Ico and Tania have seen them."


"That's what Ico said," Moth confirms, "They hold her prisoner while they decide."

Anger burns inside Auberon, a feeling he's not accustomed to. 


"The females are all gathered now," Aymeri announces as he returns, alone, "Dechtire is with us, Moryn wishes for more discussion, and Aithne is ready for war."

"Your own mother," Seirian laughs.

"She had words with me, before I returned," Aymeri says, with no humor at all, "She'd see me dead before she'll support a change in the law."


"With the elders split down the middle, this could still go either way," Seirian observes.

Aymeri nods grimly, "I fear the worst brother."


Ico has had enough of being ignored and held hostage while these dragons decide her fate and the fate of all her kind. "I must got to Auberon," she says, rising from the ground, "I must warn him."


"Ico, I cannot let you leave this nest," Aymeri says firmly.

"I am Icovellauna of the waters, and I will not be held prisoner," she says, pulling herself up proudly.


As she walks past him, he reaches his arms around her waist, preventing her from leaving.


"It's not safe for you out there," he says as he spins her around to face him. "I'm keeping you here to protect you."

"And what of my kin? They must be told what's coming for them."

"We don't yet know what is coming, Ico. If you go now you could start the very war we are trying to prevent."

"I want to go home," she says, her voice wavering, "Would you hold me here against my will?"

Aymeri drops her arm, "You are not my prisoner. If you will go, I will not stop you."


Ico turns and runs away.


After a moment's thought, Aymeri chases after her.


Ico lets out a sob as his arms come around her, ending the chase. "Why won't you let me go?" she cries.

"I will let you go, if that is what you wish, Ico," he whispers, holding her close against his chest, "But I ask you to stay with me."


Still wrapped in his embrace, she turns to face him. "It isn't right that all the fae should be punished for a law they didn't break," she says "Your laws are cruel and unreasonable, and Auberon must be warned."

"I know this, Ico," Aymeri says, "And if we fail to change the law, I will fight my own kind to protect yours. Have some trust in me, my love."

"I do trust you," she says.

"Then don't run away from me. Whatever comes, we'll see it through together."


"I have missed you, these past days," he whispers, kissing her neck as he pulls away the fabric wrapped around her, "Did you miss me?"



"Oh, so much," she sighs as he lays her down on the ground


"I would do anything for you," he whispers, "Break any law to be with you, fight anyone who tries to stand between us."

"Just make love to me," she whispers, "And do not talk of battle."


The days she was without him were filled with fears and doubts, all washed away now by his touch, by their joining on the forest floor. Nothing now seems clearer, more important than this, that they belong together, as one.


"Will you stay with me, Ico?" he asks again.

"While you were away, I thought it would have been better had we never encountered each other," she says, "We have brought such danger to the world, our joining brings great change, and maybe even death and suffering to our peoples. But whatever comes, I cannot regret this, our love, and I will stay by your side through it all."



She holds her hand to his as he caresses her cheek. "You show me your true self today," he whispers. He hasn't seen her thus since the day he rescued her from the strange hunters, "Will you tell me your name as well?"

"I am Shayeleigh," she says.


"I am Riain," he tells her, though he suspects she doesn't know what it means for a dragon to reveal his name, as well as his true form, to one of her kind.

"I've seen you hunting the skies, Riain," she says, "You dragons are terrible to behold. And I saw you fighting for me, you killed both of those creatures with your hands alone."

"Do I frighten you?" he asks as she trembles in his arms.

"Only when I remember what you are," she says, "Be gentle with me."


She pulls the tie from his hair, letting the long golden locks fall free over his shoulders as he kisses her, gently.



He doesn't give any thought to the laws he's breaking as he holds her, kisses, explores her body with his hands, his lips, and giving himself to her own explorations. This is his secret, not to be shared even in his nest, and here, with her, he's beyond law, beyond society.


He gives her all his tenderness, the gentle caresses Tearhne rejects. Riain has had to fight over and again to prove his fierceness to his own kind, and he's had to deny his own nature to be Tearhne's lover. Shayeleigh wants what all that he's kept hidden, the sweetness of his love, and he discovers a joy in making love to her that he'd never suspected was possible.


But even in this bliss, Riain's loyalties tear at him. He's spent these hours in her arms, joined in intimate embrace, but he has not spoken of her kin, Ico, kept at his nest, or the war that may yet be inevitable. He should keep no secrets from her, he thinks, but he how far can he go in his betrayal of his brothers?

"Shayeleigh," he whispers her name, "I must tell you--"


Pulled to his feet by his hair, Riain is unable to finish his sentence.

"Your whole nest are traitors to your kind!" Hayder growls.



"I will not stand by while you break our laws, Riain. Your whole nest should be put down." Before Riain get find his balance to defend himself, Hayder kicks him hard in the chest, sending him flying backwards.


His head makes a sharp crack as it hits the rock at the pond's edge, and his blood gushes into the water.


Shayeleigh screams Riain's name, but the other dragon has her in his grasp before she can go to him.


"And now you die, fairy," Hayder growls, "You will all die!"


Fear and despair make the transformation difficult, but Shayeleigh pushes past it, because she has to. She will not die at this monster's hands.


Suddenly, his hands are empty, the fairy has disappeared, leaving behind only the shimmer of her magic in the air. He doesn't notice his death slithering toward him on the ground.


In this form, her venom is powerful, and the great dragon is taken down quickly, heaving in pain, unable to move.


Within minutes, Hayder lies dead on the ground.


25 comments:

  1. Ohhhh dear, not good!!!
    A fairy killed a dragon... self-defense, but I doubt, in fact I KNOW they won't see it that way!

    Please let Riain be alright, he and Shaye are cute together and if he dies it'll be 2 deaths!

    Ohhhh dear, not good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fairy killing a dragon will be a pretty big deal, though many of the dragons are pretty casual about killing fairies. Or killing anything, really.
      Shayeleigh would have to agree with you about wanting to keep Riain alive.

      Delete
  2. Oh that picture makes me so sad! I don't know what's going to happen from here but I do hope to find out soon. I really, really hope Riain will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, heaven. I'm planning to get the next chapter out sometime this weekend, so you won't have to wait too long.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm. I do wonder if he's dead. I really can't guess.

    Maybe his blood spilling into the water may be picked up by either Ico or Aymeri, since they're the water elements.

    I gotta say, dragon society is coming off as pretty evil. It's almost starting to look like human society, with its unforgiving masculinity enforcement and disregard for dragon killing dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's probably too much water in the world for Ico or Aymeri to pick up on any one person's blood being spilled in it.

      Dragon society is very similar to some human tribal societies, brutal, unforgiving, violent and very tightly structured. If you remember, in my legacies I wrote dragons as innately hot tempered and prone to violence. So, much of dragon society is a response to that, strict laws to keep the rampant violence in check, and to provide outlets for that violence. There isn't a disregard for dragon killing dragon, but there are situations in which it's allowed. Within the nest, the First male has the right to kill any of the other males in his nest who challenge his authority, and they in turn can kill him in a challenge to take his place.
      Hayder's actions in this chapter were a bit precipitous. Some nests are calling for the eradication of Tearhne's entire nest because they've brought in a fairy, and Hayder was very much on that side of this debate. Had he lived, he might have been punished for killing Riain before their fate was decided in council.
      There is very much a strong enforcement of 'masculine' qualities, even among the female dragons.

      Delete
    2. "might have been punished for killing Riain"

      So he's really dead? /me cries. :(

      Delete
    3. I was speaking hypothetically there, actually, about what might have happened to Hayder if he'd killed Riain and survived himself. I'm not confirming or denying Riain's death until the next chapter.

      Delete
  4. Exciting update. Aymeri trying to prevent a war, and now it seems one will start no matter what with Hayder dead and likely Riain as well. Maybe the dragons won't detect the type of venom, but I think they will be able to tell magic was in the area. Of course the fairies will be blamed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fae!
      Aymeri is not only trying to prevent a war, he's trying to make a change in its laws, which is very difficult considering how strongly their society is structured around law. I've hinted a little that Tearhne's nest is run a bit differently than most other nests, and a lot of that has come from how Aymeri handles his position as First male.
      War certainly does seem inevitable at this point. We'll see...

      Delete
  5. Well you just broke my heart into a few pieces. I really hope Riain isn't dead but part of me wants him to be dead for the purpose of the story. He just seems like he is the embodiment of calmness in your story, and his death would mean the end of calmness between dragons and fairies.

    Oh and can I just say that I love the skins you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Cece, you want to make Riain a matyr and make heaven cry? Shameful...lol

      I use Kanno's Moonlight skins. They've been out since the base game, but I've never seen any I like better.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that hit to the head must be pretty hard! He's a dragon though I think somehow he'll pull through! If not wow! That's going to make things a lot more complicated with two dragons dead and one fairy alive on the scene. It seems like the Dragons really do enjoy violence though, so I guess anything will provoke them to commit to a war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragons are very prone to violence, so you are right, it won't take much to provoke them into a war.
      Still, nothing is decided yet.

      Delete
  7. Oh no! No no no no no, the war has started! ??? has it? I suppose it has in a way. The nests will hear of this. *holds head in hands* and I was just thinking how sweet the love scenes were when bam! death strikes.

    Glad my internet is more reliable today and got to reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are definitely heating up, even though war has not been officially declared.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. No, No, No, I refuse to believe that Riain is hurt in any way shape or form. And with that, that is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Rated PG on this one. I don't want Riain to die! Hayder on the other hand, well good riddance.

    Also, Aymeri and Ico are, seriously, my favorite couple ever. At first I thought it would be hard to accept seeing Aymeri with someone other than Allyriane, but he and Ico are just so sweet and romantic and adorable and [fill in the blank with more sappy words]. My heart gets happy whenever they make an appearance in your story.

    ...And no, that has nothing to do with the fact that I have a major crush on Aymeri. Nothing at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aymeri and Ico are the reason I started this story. I did tell a little of their story in Gen 5 or 6 of the roman legacy (Sage's generation) where Ico first appears, and it's just something I wanted o give more time to but, but really couldn't in the confines of a random legacy. Aymeri is probably the most popular character in any of my stories.

      Delete
  10. Wow, this update was intense. Ico and Aymeri, they are just too damn perfect together, I love their relationship, love their chemistry even more.

    Shayleigh killing the dragon can't be good, especially with the war simmering between Aymeri's nest and Ico's people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val!
      Aymeri and Ico are pretty special to me.
      If the dragons who want war ever found out a fairy killed one of them, that would be trouble, for sure.

      Delete
  11. I am only starting to catch up on your story, but I already like it a lot. Bit to far on the nude side maybe, but hey- with the Fae, I assume this can not be helped *lol*

    Will keep reading over the next days ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna!
      I should be fair and warn you, there is a lot of nudity in this story.

      Delete
  12. NO!!!! Riain! Holy shit I think that fairy chick may have started the war because I don't know which nest Hayder comes from... uh-oh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a pretty tense time for dragon-fae relations. But there were no other witnesses to Hayder's death, and Shayeleigh was in snake form, so she might get away with it. =D

      Delete