Sunday, November 17, 2013

Chapter 46: My Vengeance




Not since the great war, when the dragons united to fight Aithne and her followers, had so many nests gathered in place for a conference. And once it again, it was war which had brought them all together. Not their war, but that of the mortal who called himself dragonslayer, fighting against his own kind, ravaging the lands that had once belonged to dragons and fae alone in long gone time before mankind had arrived.


Ailidh, an elder dragon who brought only three of her dozen mates to sit with her in council, is first speak, "I have grown used to seeing your fairies by your side, Aymeri, but are we now giving those fae that are not of you nest their own seat by our fire?" she asks, nodding at Auberon's group seated across from her.


"Auberon is here by my invitation," Aymeri say, his tone throwing down a challenge to anyone who would defy his decision.

"I remember a time when my kind and yours held separate places in these lands, and we went years, even centuries, before our first face-to-face encounter," Auberon answers in a gentler tone, smiling at the dragon who asked him here, "Those times are long gone, the forests shrink with every year, and it is our magic as much as yours that protects what little we have we have left from human encroachment."

Ailidh shrugs and makes no further objection to the presence of the fae at their council.


"I remember those days as well," Aeaea says, "There were hundreds of nests in a forest that stretched for miles. Now our kind are spread far, our nests driven apart by the human villages and towns that have grown up here. We've lived away from their kind, and let them take more and more land, and stayed well-hidden from them. But now this dragonslayer has come, making war on the town nearest to my nest, taking our trees, burning our forests. And killing my youngest, who had only just learnd to take his form and fly as a dragon."


"He took my son, too," Aymeri growls, "The humans can kill and make war on each other all they like, but this dragonslayer must die for his crimes against us."


"If that were an easy task, he and all the dragonslayers who came before him would be dead already," Inira says, "This one killed my son, and long before that, a dragonslayer from a previous generation killed my Second. There was not a nest in the lands around the Landgraab's holdings who hadn't lost someone to one dragonslayer or another. That is why Fearghus and I came back here, to the land we were born in. hoping to be finally done with the dragonslayers."



"We will have vengeance for our dead, and we will put an end to this dragonslayer," Aymeri promises, "He attacks us singly, but he has never faced us in our numbers, or tasted the wrath our united nests can bring."


"The war that rages now has already wrought devastation on the land, and has even touched our forests. And you answer to that is more war?" Jennicor asks, rising to speak, with Auberon at her side.

"We mean to put an end to the dragonslayer and his war," Aymeri counters.

"Then you should be aware, he has brought more of that strange metal here, in vast quantities, and has armed all his men with it," Jennicor answers, "Our magic, dragon or fae, is useless in its presence."



"We are dragons; we do not fight with magic, but with our strength. I have no fear of this strange metal," Ailidh declares.


"You should," Morvyn counters, "Our strength in dragon form comes from magic. And that metal is what allows the dragonslayers to take us down. I've felt its effect myself."

"In the northern lands, we arm ourselves as the humans do," Kelyn adds, "And fight them with their own weapons. It's the only way."

Their advice is met with the scorn of the elder dragons. "We fight as dragons, not as men," Ailidh scoffs, and even Aymeri, who Morvyn believed was the greatest hope they had of seeing reason and being willing to change, dismisses the idea of dragons fighting with weapons.

The council ends with the dragons declaring war, planning to attack the dragonslayer's army as a group, in dragon form. Kelyn and Morvyn insist they will fight with weapons, and try to get close enough to the dragonslayer to kill him personally. Ceyrth chooses to stay out of the battle, and remain with Riain, Shayeleigh and Ametair to defend their forest home if need be.

"I fear many more of our kind will meet their end in this battle," Kelyn whispers to her mate, who can only share her worries.



Their worry for their kind and the war looming ahead of them brings Morvyn and Kelyn a sleepless night.

"If I hadn't stupidly killed his brother, the dragonslayer wouldn't even have an army," Kelyn sighs in regret, "Before he took Odet, he only had his his personal guard. Now he rules a whole town and gathers an army."

"It was an honest mistake," Morvyn tries to soothe her, though he knows what she says is true.


"Don't do that," Kelyn says, rising up to look her mate in the eye, "Don't try to comfort me and tell me I meant no harm. In my rush for vengeance, I did cause harm, and I must own it."

"All right," Morvyn agrees, "You did a foolish thing. But you know I've done my share of foolish things as well. Talfryn died because of my my mistakes, and I survived being imprisoned by the dragonslyer. I've wasted enough time brooding over what I cannot change. Now I, we, must find a way forward."

"We must slay the dragonslayer," Kelyn answers.

"Before he slays any more of us."


Kelyn falls on him, kissing him passionately. A sudden cry comes up from the room below them. "That's Evie," Morvyn murmurs, "We should check on her."



They find Evie sitting on the bed they'd made for her in the house they built for their nest, groaning and crying as she holds her belly. Ico had explained to him that pregnancy goes faster for fairies than it does for dragons, but Evenfall's pregnancy has defied even fae standards. Though she must have conceived close the the same time that Ico had, her belly had expanded at a far greater rate, and now she seemed ready to deliver far ahead of the expected schedule.


Morvyn rarely has the chance to make use of his skills as a healer, and this is the first birth he's ever attended.



After only an hour of labor, Evenfall delivers a daughter, who she names Paerys. She has Talfryn's coloring, but the sparkling lights, the same dark red as her father's hair, belie the fae nature she inherited from her mother.


Morvyn senses his mate's regret and sorrow as they leave Evie asleep with her daughter and return to their own bed in the loft, and he knows that isn't the war she's thinking about.

"We are immortal," he reminds her gently, taking her hand, "We have a long time to have our own child."

"But the older I get, the less chance I have of another fertility cycle," Kelyn reminds him.


Fertility has been on Morvyn's mind much of late, with both Evie and Ico falling pregnant so close together, after thousands of years of being childless, as though to make up for Talfryn's loss. Fairy magic follows no rules he or any dragon can understand, but his parents had told him of the sudden increase in fertility among dragonkind after they returned from war. That was how Seirian and Arienh had become mates, how he had been conceived and born. But as the centuries passed and the human villages spread further and became town, the dragons declined, so that even the young females no longer bore as many children as their elders had before him. 

"There is a balance to everything," Morvyn muses out loud, "The world perhaps can only sustain so many dragons. Our numbers are held in check." What he doesn't say aloud is that this upcoming war and the deaths that might follow, might spur a new rise in fertility, and give them the chance to have their own child.




"Let the others go to war, beloved. Your place now is with me, and with our child," Ico pleads.



"The dragonslayer killed my son, Ico. I have to do this."

"Is vengeance more important than me, my love?" Ico asks, "I know you grieve for your son, just as Evenfall does. He left their child without a father..."

"And you fear I will leave our child fatherless as well," Aymeri finishes her unspoken thought, "I promise you, beloved, that I will have my vengeance and come home to you."


"And how can you make that promise?" Ico demands, "You cannot see the future. You cannot know what will happen..."


"I will not allow any man to take me from you," Aymeri says, "I can promise you that."

Ico's fears are not assuaged, but she knows there is no convincing him to stay when he's so determined to go.


"Such rapid growth is unusual, even for our kind," Auberon observes, meeting his granddaughter Paerys, who had been born only the night before, for the first time.

"When I went to sleep, she was still an infant. And when I woke, she was as she is now."

"And she has not spoken?" Auberon asks.

Evenfall shakes her head, caressing her daughter's hair, "Not one word. I fear her mind may not have matured as fast as her body."


Morvyn and Kelyn awaken and join them by the pond, as puzzled by this mystery as the fae.

"Is she fully fae?" Morvyn asks, thinking of Ametair, the only other person to be born of fae and dragon parents, and who is himself neither truly fae or dragon, but something else altogether.

"I think only she can tel us who she is,' Auberon replies, 'She will be powerful, I can sense that much."


A dark scowl forms on the child's face as she speaks her first words, "I am a dragon," she says, "And I will have vengeance for my father."


"She's Talfryn's daughter, all right," Morvyn says, "And she has a dragon's spirit, even if she is fae."






20 comments:

  1. Oh boy! And the war begins. Paerys is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The dragons are getting into the war, now. Paerys looks a lot like Talfryn, but she does have some of Evie, too.

      Delete
  2. I wish the dragons had taken Kelyn and Morvyn's words more seriously, I can't see their war upon the dragonslayers going well if they rely upon their traditional ways of fighting.

    Paerys is a lovely looking child, but I fear her first words bode ill for her future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dragons really should have listened to Kelyn and Morvyn. They will likely regret that later.
      Paerys does have a difficult future ahead of her.

      Delete
  3. Ah the blue haired dream dragon... ;)

    The dragons certainly have their work ahead of them. Having the fairies on their side can only be a benefit. It's to bad that the suggestion that Kelyn made about using weapons wasn't taken more seriously. It's like a war between change and keeping things the same. Some cannot accept that changes happen eventually, and here we have dragons not accepting change after hundreds of years. I suppose when you are as long lived as a dragon, a few hundred years is like a few decades to humans though. It's like your story has an undertone that all societies face. Dragons are magic though, and if they don't become accustomed to human weaponry and warfare, they will be drastically reduced in numbers. They don't realise I guess that the metals the humans have will prevent the dragon from transforming. I don't want to think what will happen. This is going to be so horrible. The humans with their fear of anything they can't control and the dragons with their resistance to change.

    Talfryn has a daughter :) I wish he was there to see her. Is this the first female dragon to be born in some time? I hope if she is set on going to this war that she ages more. She has a long, weary life ahead of her. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seirian doesn't get as much of a role these days. I'll have to do something about that, maybe. I have such a large cast for this story.
      You are very right, the undertones of this story is about the cycles society goes through. The dragons like to cling to their traditions ad resist change, just as human societies do.
      The dragons will do their transforming before they attack, when they are not near enough to the metal to be affected by it. But yes, once they are in its range, they ca't use magic or transform back. They still will have immense physical strength, but the humans will have numbers. It's probably going to be pretty horrible.

      It is sad Talfryn never got to see his daughter, and that has death has cast such a shadow on her life. The birth rate for dragons in general has gone down a lot in the last few thousand years, so Paerys is probably the first female born in the last few centuries, at least in this area. Kelyn is fairly young for a dragon, being only a few centuries old, but she was born up in the north. But I'm not sure if Paerys will count entirely as a dragon. She identifies as such, but she's also very obviously fae, with her wings.

      Delete
  4. Babies! Yay! :D Aw, Talfryn's daughter is so pretty---I love Morvyn's comment after what Paerys (love the name!) said, lol She's going to be quite the little spitfire! How interesting that she grew up (physically at least) so quickly. She really is in a hurry for vengeance! I'm contemplating how a certain curse will fit into all of that. Hmmm. That pic of Evie with her right after she was born was sweet.

    Aymeri! <3. I adore him, even if he is a bit stuck in his ways, lol I would be a lot more worried about him except for some references made on the Brannon side that seem to show he survives this upcoming war. But yikes! What a bunch of hardheaded stubborn lot those dragons are, lol I hope they figure some things out before any real damage is done, or any dragon/fairy lives are lost. It could give Kelyn and Morvyn their moment to shine though, and might help Morvyn feel a little more like he avenged his friend's death.

    I have to say---I would hate to be the dragonslayer right now, even with his strange metals. There's nothing like having the fae and the dragons band together---against you!!!

    Aymeri and Ico still get the sweetest couple award---they are adorable together. <3 Closely followed by Morvyn and Kelyn of course, lol

    Great chapter, I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next one! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did steal that name from you, though your Paeris is male. But I loved it so much and it just fit, I thought.
      I think Paerys' need for vengeance was actually what has been making her develop so much faster than normal, her fairy magic responded to her desire and sped things along. The curse you are referring to is part of this, though stuff from the Brannon story won't be directly referred to here. But there will be precursors to tht curse in this story, too. You'll see, lol.

      The dragons are extremely stubborn and stuck in their ways. Even Aymeri, who had been the vanguard for change once, when he fell for Ico. But now...nope, not gonna try new things, no way. Hopefully they will see the light before it's too late, but I'm afraid of what will have to happen for them to get there.

      I'm sure Reinier will be quite surprised when a whole group of dragons come after him. I'm not sure how much real help the fae will be. They can't get in close because of the effect the metal has on their magic.

      I will always love Aymeri and Ico...and Morvyn and Kelyn are my two new favorites. =D

      Thanks so much, Nirar!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sad for the upcoming war :-(, but it couldn't be deterred any longer, I guess...

    I loved the forgive & forget scene between Morvyn and Kelyn; it's true that some mistakes are really difficult to repair (if at all) but self-hate never solved anything, and one has to learn to accept them and go on with their lives. It's good they're so supportive to one another <3.

    And then... that lovely and strange creature that has just been born. Paerys is such a sweet child, but really, those first words of hers just sent shivers down my spine. What happened to good old "mom" for a first word? :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. War is always unpleasant, that's for sure.

      Kelyn and Morvyn are a very supportive couple. They are aware of each others mistakes, and their own, and they really do try to help each other move past them as much as they can, rather than blaming each other and pointing fingers.

      Paerys has been very sadly impacted by what happened to her father before she was born. It's something she'll carry with her for a very long time.

      Delete
  6. Ugh silly dragons!!! If you don't change and adapt, natural selection is going to unselect you!

    Paerys will be interesting. I wonder how it's going to work with her being all "I am DRAGON!" but she has the sparkly wings. I did at least get to know my father and he wasn't murdered, but he died when I had just turned seven. So I can empathize with her a bit.

    YAAAYY update after I got caught up so now I get to join in with the funs and the things! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, and *big hugs* it's so great to have you here!

      Yes, the dragons really are setting themslves up for their own destruction by being so unable to change with the times.

      Paerys does identify heavily with her father, despite having inherited her mother's fae nature. And she does seem to have the dragon type of personality more than the fae. I'm drawing heavily on mythological tropes for her character, a child born or created for the purpose of getting vengeance. Though I do hope to make hera bit more rounded than just that, But that's her inspiration and it will drive much of who she is.

      Delete
  7. Ah wow! So many sims in one place! I can't imagine!

    War. War never changes...oh sorry about that! But yeah, there will be war it seems. Some are reluctant to fight with weapons buuut I hope they don't find out that hard way that they may have to!

    I fear Kelyn is right to worry, war always has its casualties after all. War never chan- I can never get that out of my head! Any ways, Evie had a child who is growing quite rapidly!! Her first words were intense! Morvyn and Kelyn would like one too. That reminds me though that they need this war as I don't think the humans will stop their expansion. Such a clash then is better now than later.

    All I know is that I'm on Auberon's side, that is the side that will win the war, if there is a such thing as winning a war heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, shooting this was difficult. There were lot of Sims to pose, lol.

      Yay for the Fallout references. War really never changes, though at least we don't have atomic bombs in Summerdream to deal with. Just magic metal, lol.

      Kelyn is right to worry. She has more experience with fighting humans from the north, but these southern dragons aren't ready to listen.
      It's true, human expansion will go on unchecked if nothing is done to stop it. But it will only work if they are successful, and with the dragons being so resistant to change their fighting style, things might get worse rather than better.

      Auberon's powers are sadly limited in the face of the Landgraab metal. And there's also the fact that Auberon only does what Auberon wants to do. He's offered to help the dragons, but he'll only go so far with that.

      Delete
  8. Sorry, this weekend just ran away from me and I'm sooooo behind. But I'm here now, that's what matters.

    Where are the nametags?! *sigh* you promised me nametags at the dragon conference!

    Really sad beginning. Really highlights how awful we humans are to the world we live in, just knocking down trees for our own use, not caring about the forests inhabitants who were there long before us.
    But. But the dragons have gone all bull-headed. I know Auberon and the other fairies are a bit... floaty, but their reasoning is sound. I'm quite surprised Aymeri didn't listen to what Jennicor said, he must know they're right, but he wants to be a big dragon man and win this by force, when really it'll probably make things a lot worse :(

    FINALLY A BABY!!!
    Why do babies sometimes look cute? Evies baby is cute :) I hope she ends up being a catalyst to end the hard times, but I can't see how... (And I love Kelyns undies! :D)
    (I'm commenting as a read. btw)
    Holy fuck. *cough, splutter* sorry... but... Paerys?! What happened?! O.O
    ...Paerys is scary. Her first words were about murder.

    I'm angry at Aymeri for leaving Ico! I hope he can keep his promise!! But, I see why he's going. He's the leader of their odd nest, and so I'm sure that means he has to lead his nest into battle. He's left his heir, his work is done. *sniff* Not really! You best come home Aymeri!!! <3

    And love to see a Morvyn/Kelyn child! Though we probably wouldn't see what it looks like for a while... And I wonder what Ico and Aymeri's child will be? I'd forgotton the old dragon/fairy genes not mixing properly thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are! *hugs*

      Dude, I should have gotten nametags because I don't even remember some of the dragon's names now, lol.

      It's true, humans are destructive to any environment they inhabit. And the dragons are slow and stubborn, and the fairies are floaty heads...no wonder it's such a mess! Aymeri has gotten more stuck in his ways now that he's an ancient dragon. He wants vengeance for his son, and he wants to do it his way. And yeah, it's probably going to make things worse. Sorry. =(

      I know, even 'rushing' the birth, it took forever. And the human pregnancies will take even longer. I don't think Paerys' role will be as a catalyst for peace. More the opposite probably. She's out for blood.
      It was pretty much just fairy magic that made her grow so fast. She's not done yet, she'll be an adult really quickly, too.

      Ico isn't to happy about Aymeri taking off for war, either. She really doesn't get the whole vengeance thing (that's more of a dragon thing. And human, I guess. But not so much fae). But you are right, Aymeri is the nest leader and honor demands he lead them to battle...but really, he also wants to kill the guy that killed his son. Reinier has a handful of dragons out for his blood now, actually.

      I don't even know if/when Morvyn and Kelyn will have a baby. I feel like there's too much pregnancy related storylines right now as it is. But, there's going to be some time jumps coming up where these kids will be older. (Paerys is already bypassing most of the age stages and going straight for adult) so maybe for Morvyn and Kelyn. I'd hate to torture Kelyn with permanent infertility. But, who knows.

      Well, here's a hint about Ico and Aymeri's child: she's a water nymph, and he's a dragon with an elemental affinity for water...

      Delete
  9. Already stated is the wish that the dragon council had listened to the wise words to fight with weapons in order to avoid the affects of the strange blue metal. I agree.
    Paerys, I think, will be a favorite with me. I love a good spitfire personality. I can really identify with that type of person, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mypal! Paerys will be quite the spitfire, definitely. =)

      Delete
  10. O_O Paerys' statement. Damn, LOL, she's tough for being just born, and quite scary. I wouldn't want to run into her in a dark alley, that's for sure, even if she is just a child. Who knows, in the next chapter she'll probably be a young adult, LOL with her growth rate being so fast.

    =( I felt bad for Kelyn and Morvyn since the dragons have been spread so thin with the humans building things in the middle of their land, I feared they'd go extinct if some of them don't have more children. That'd be so sad.

    I have to say it's very strange being able to empathize with both sides of the story. When Reinier is talking about things, I feel for him, but then when the dragons are talking about needing to do something for all the dragons that have died, I feel for all the dragons. LOL. It's very unique how you write, and I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. War, war and more war=/.
    I understand their want for vengence but at what price?
    Paerys' first words, eh she is her fathers daughter for sure...edenz~

    ReplyDelete