Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chapter 30: So That the Lie May Come True



Once upon a time, a very long time ago, Auberon put his heart inside a stone that glowed as bright as the moon, and he gave that stone to a mortal girl, who swallowed it and made it part of herself. For all the years of her life, Auberon's heart beat next to her own, and when it came back to him after her death, it was no longer his heart alone, for a part of the girl remained within it.




"A descendant of your daughter prayed for the life of a child this morning," Auberon says, his voice quiet in the solitude of his room of portal, his secret place where even Tania Summerdream dares not follow. "I gave her the means to cure the illness, and the girl was saved."

The aurora hovering above the heart stone glows with approval. Most of the time, that's all the response Auberon gets for the deeds he does in her name, the little miracles that keep her people's belief in her alive.


Sometimes, the reward is greater, sometimes she comes herself, through the one portal in this room of portals that he may not enter, the portal into the place the mortals call the spirit realm. Auberon went there once, and it nearly killed him. She brought him there, and then she saved him. That's where it all began, when she swallowed his heart, and made him a part of her, and her a part of him.

In the stories her people tell of them, they share an eternal love, and perhaps those stories are what ties Auberon to her still, long after she died her mortal death. Or perhaps it's the stone, where her heart and his still beat, joined together in an unending song. Only Tania has ever asked Auberon why he continues to answer the prayers of the descendants a lover long dead, why he feeds their belief in the lie he created, and Auberon said only, "So that the lie may come true."


There are times when Auberon stops to wonder how deep the lie runs, if even this ghost in his arms is merely his own creation, and not a visitor from the realm of spirit at all, a fantasy bon of his unconscious mind, like the dreams of mortals, who create worlds as they sleep, and yet do not know they created it. He always told her, told Uvie, he makes himself remember her name, long lost to her own kind, fading from the memory of the world even as the stories persist, that real or not made no difference, and so he still believes. And so he gives himself to his ghostly lover, and loves her just as he did his Uvie, so long go.


"The river again," Reinier remarks as their path through the forest leads them back to the river's edge.


Reinier brought his men into the forest in the late morning, as soon as they could get away from Marrec and Gwencalon Avendale's hospitality. Marrec had assured them that the dragons in these parts were less aggressive than those of his native lands, and warned them their hunt might not bear any fruit, that dragons were hardly seen here at all.

"It's the wolves you want to watch out for in that forest," Marrec had confided in a whisper, as though he feared the wolves might hear him talking about them. "They aren't your regular wolves. There's magic in that forest. Be sure to be out of it before night falls."

Reinier Landgraab has no fear of wolves, regular or otherwise, nor is he afraid of the dangers nightfall may bring. But he may have no choice but to be out of the forest long before the sun sets, for every step they take deeper into the woods leads them back out again to this river at the forest's edge.

"Enchantment," Reinier says, "The forest itself keeps turning us around. We'll never get any further in on our own."

"We could find a guide?" Harald suggests.


"I doubt anyone in the village has ever braved these woods," Reinier says, "But, there are wild tribes who live in this forest. The same as the wild tribes who live in our forests at home, barbarians with tattooed arms, at home in places where creatures of magic live."

"You don't think we could get one of them to guide us into the forest?' Geeraad asks.

"No," Reinier shakes his head, "They have no love for our kind. But, that night I was attacked here, we saw one of those wild men with a village girl. If we could find her, we could make her take us to her wild lover..."

"You're sure it was a village girl?"

"She was wearing silks, yes," Reinier says, "And when we attacked the men, she fled toward the village, not the forest."

"Did you get a good look at her?"

"Unfortunately, no," Reinier answers, "She had red hair, and her dress suggested she was of the merchant class. Wealthy enough, but not noble."

"Good luck finding a girl in this village who isn't a redhead," Geeraard complains.

"We're more likely to meet up with the local lasses in the tavern than out here in the woods," Harald says brightly.

"She wasn't a bar wench," Reinier points out, but has to agree that they are getting nowhere out in the wilds.


"I'm beginning to think you enjoy making me look a fool," Treveur says, "All the village are waiting for us to announce a marriage day, and wondering why you are keeping me waiting."

"Do you care so much what the villagers say?" Gaelle answers with a teasing laugh.


"No, I don't," Treveur says, "But I do want to marry you. How long will you make me wait?"

Gaelle closes her eyes and sighs. Before Morvyn, Treveur Brannon was all she thought about. Her wild lover may have turned her heart, but Gaelle's head knows well where she belongs. She can no more bring Morvyn into the village as a husband than she could go and live with him in the forests. Not that he asked either of her, she reminds herself. Treveur is the sole heir of a large and prosperous farm, her parents and his both look forward to their match. And he was always kind to her, generous with his gifts, tender in his affections.

"I told my mother this morning to begin making the preparations for our wedding," Gaelle says,finding a sort of relief in saying it, making it real. Her future is here, with this man, and it's time for her to stop pretending anything else, "We'll be married before summer's end."

"You've made me the happiest of men," Treveur enthuses.


"Sterren!" Gwencalon calls out to her niece as she returns from Taran's house, "I have such news! Oh, such happy news!"

"I must speak with my uncle," Sterren says, making up any excuse to get away from gossiping with her aunt, "Has the Lord Landgraab returned from his hunt?" she asks hopefully before turning away. That's the real reason she's stopped at her uncle's before going back to her own house in the village, her desire to see him, speak with him, again.


"That's what I want to tell you!" Gwencalon rises to block Sterren from leaving, "Reinier Landgraab asked your uncle for your hand this morning! I knew he liked you, I saw it in the way he looked at you. But I hardly expected him to act so soon."

Sterren hadn't expected it at all, though she'd spent the night with him. "He asked my uncle for my hand?" she asks, confused, "He said nothing to me..."

"Well, that's their custom, where he's from," Gwencalon explains, "Your uncle explained that, and the young lord will be proposing to you himself as soon as he's back, I'm sure. He asked your uncle not to speak of it to you, though, so you must act surprised when he asks."

"That's an odd custom, asking a girl's a uncle for her hand," Sterren frowns.

"So what if it is?" Gwencalon asks, "We have some time before the men return from their hunt. Let me help you dress in something fitting to be proposed to in, and we can make plans for your wedding dress, and the feat. Oh, it will be such a grand feast!"


"You are getting ahead of yourself, Aunt," Sterren says, "He has not yet made his proposal, nor have I accepted it."

"He made his intentions clear to your uncle, in his eyes, it was a proposal," Gwencaloon says, "And you would not be such a fool as to reject a man like Reinier Landgraab. Come inside, now, so that we can curl your hair."

"Forgive me, aunt, but I must go back to the village now," Sterren says, backing away from her aunt's attempts to groom her.


As the sun begins to set, Reinierturns p at her door, alone. "I left my men at the tavern," he says, "I thought...you're angry with me," he changes the subject mid sentence when he notices the scowl on her face.

"I had to learn of your intention to marry me from my aunt," Sterren says, her voice cold and sharp.

Reinier frowns to hear that Marrec broke his word and told his wife about their discussion. "I meant no disrespect, Sterren," he explains, "I did not know your custom was so different from my own."


Sterren moves aside so he can enter her house. "If you had told me you wanted to marry me, I could have told you what our customs were and avoided this mess," she says.

"I told you I would speak to your uncle; any girl in my country would have understood from that that I meant to make a proposal. I was wrong to assume you would take my meaning, but, truly, I believed you'd understood my intent before you left me this morning."


Sterren pouts, unable to argue the point further. It was a misunderstanding of culture, and not something she should hold against him.

Reinier sees her anger break, and moves in swiftly to take her hands in his, "I cannot undo my mistake. But, I am sorry for it. And I ask you now, will you be my wife, Sterren?"


"Reinier, we've only known each other for one day, we can't possibly decide something like this so soon," Sterren says.


Stung by her rejection, even as softly spoken as it was, Reinier answers rashly, "You only knew me for one day before you took me into your bed!"

Sterren turns from him, her ire rising again, "And you of course have never gone to bed with a woman you had no intention of marrying?"

"Of course I have," Reinier admits, "Women of common birth..." he trails off as he realizes what he's saying.

"Then add me to your list of baseborn conquests and be done with me," Sterren shouts.

"Sterren, please, I didn't mean..." Reinier takes a deep breath, and steps closer to her, to start his plea over again.


"Sterren, this is not about class or land or money, it's not about who we've been with before we met, it's about you and me. I knew, while I watched you bandaging my hands, that I would love you. And you can tell me, or yourself, that all I am to you is a night's pleasure, but I know it isn't true, because I see the love your bear me in your eyes. Look into your heart Sterren, accept my love and be my wife."

"Reinier," she sighs his name, "I cannot deny, there's a strong attraction between us, and even in the short time since we've met, I do find that I care for you, very much..."


Reinier pulls her close to press his lips to her neck. "And I do...very much...enjoy your company..." she gasps between kisses.

"I am offering you my company for the rest of our lives, Sterren," he whispers, nuzzling her ear.

"I'm afraid I cannot think past the pleasure your company could bring right now," she giggles, leading him by the hand to her bedroom.


"You have still avoided answering my proposal," Reinier says, stroking her hair after they've made love on the rug by her fireplace.

"Because I don't like feeling rushed into this, Reinier. I don't want to refuse you outright; we do have feelings for each other. But it's too soon to say if those feelings are deep enough to last and sustain a marriage."

"Nothing would please me more than to court you for as long and as fervently as you would like, my dear heart, but I do not have the luxury of time. I must marry you soon, or not at all."


"What? Why?" Sterren asks, lifting herself up to look him in the eye.

"My father wishes me to marry Agneta Goth, and is already bargaining with her father over dowry and bride prices."

"And you cannot simply refuse to be sold off like property?"

"Refuse to do my father's will?" Reinier's eyes widen, "No, I cannot. I am a younger son, Sterren, and I am my father's to do with as he likes. But even he cannot cast asunder a marriage made under the eye of the Watcher. If I married you, he could not force me to marry another."

"And so you've been courting me just to get out of this unwanted marriage?" Sterren asks, her voice sharpening.

"No, in truth I was content enough with my father's choice. Agneta Goth is beautiful, and intelligent. There is no love between us, or even any interest, but I know my duty and was willing enough to carry it out. And then I met you, fell in love with you, and the thought of marrying the Goth princess is a torture to my mind. I'll have you, and no other."


"I'd be a good husband to you," Reinier promises softly after her silence goes on too long.

"I'm sure you would," she sighs, caressing his chest, feeling a little selfish about refusing to help him out of a marriage she knows she would resent being forced into, were she in his place. "I'm just not ready for this, that we're ready. How long do you have before it's too late?"

"By summer's end, my father and the Goths will have come to terms for an engagement that would bring shame on my family if I refused or ran off with another bride."

"Then, let me take this time to think on it, before I give you my answer," Sterren says

28 comments:

  1. I can't tell in Reinier is serious about his feelings for Sterren or if he's just an exceptional liar. I want to believe he's serious, but... Landgraabs... evil... : (

    The scene at the start with Auberon and Uvie made me melt. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I tend to not write pure evil characters who only do evil things and have evil intentions. Reinier was being absolutely truthful, he is being forced into an arranged marriage that he would have accepted readily enough if he hadn't actually fallen in love with Sterren.
      I got a little teary writing the Auberon and Uvie scene, I admit.

      Delete
  2. The beginning with Auberon and Uvie, how sweet! A lovely beginning for a Valentine's day post!

    It is wise not to rush into marriage, so it is good to see that Sterren is thinking his proposal over and not just jumping into it. This will give her some time to get to know him a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nirar.
      Sterren does want time to get to know him more before committing, but his time is limited, with that arranged marriage looming. So pretty soon she'll have to decide to take him as is and hope it works or lose him forever.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this whole chapter was tragic. =(

    Except the magical forest. I love those.

    I wonder which dragons have settled in the northern lands, that give humans so much more trouble. I guess none we know.

    I thought Sterren was a little odd to not realize what Reinier was getting at last chapter, so cultural difference is a cool way of explaining it. =D And sad. ;.;

    Why do I feel like they won't have the whole summer, like they think they will?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so much sadness. Especially in a chapter with so much romance. But I love a tragic romance.

      I love enchanted forests, too.

      Actually we do know some of the dragons that have moved up north, and we're going to get to meet one very shortly. The dragons have spread out over the world in the years between the pre-historic era and this one, and not all of them have chosen Aymeri's path of laying low. Of course what we just heard was a human interpretation of dragon/human relations in the north. The dragons might say the they are defending their territory from human encroachment.

      Reinier's culture is more in line with Medieval European culture in our world, patriarchal, dominated by a centralized religion. Sterren's culture is much freer. They keep a fairly tight class system, though even that isn't pushed as hard as it might b. Sterren's mother married beneath her class, and her family didn't exactly shun her for it, it was more of a shaking their heads and tsking reaction. But women aren't treated any differently from men, and the head of the household doesn't have complete authority over the spouse or children as they do in Reinier's culture.
      More than just looking at Reinier himself, Sterren would be wise to learn about where he's from and what laws she'd be subjected to if she married him before she make any decisions.

      I have to admit, I kind of picked the summer's end deadline out of the air. A lot can and will happen before we get there, and it was vague enough that I could get what I need to do in there without a big 'time's up!' getting in my way.

      Delete
  4. I kept reading 'Reinier' as 'Reindeer', no idea why. Maybe my eyes are tired...

    Anyway, I loved the Auberon/Uvie bit. I love Uvies ghost! Such a pretty colour!

    I agree with everyone else, Sterren should think really hard about this proposal, and she's a wise girl not just accepting for the sake of accepting. Like you said on the last comment, the culture she'd be marrying into is very different from her own, and I don't see her liking that she won't have the same freedom as men. I know I wouldn't!

    I'm excited to see these 'northern dragons' though, and see why they're attacking humans. I'd assume it is because they're trying to take over their lands.

    (ps, is the enchanted forest the same enchanted area that the 'modern-day' Brannons now live?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, actually in my Stardust story there's a Belgian character named Rainier (made on the same Sim actually as my horde of Landgraab clones, though there are no Landgraabs in Stardust. That Rainier has Lecocq for a last name), and my stoner/surfer character has problems with his name and called him Reindeer once.

      Anyway, lol, Uvie's ghost color is from the death by jellybean. I just picked it because it was prtty, I'm not implying she died of jellybeans.

      Sterren would indeed not be very happy with her loss of rights and freedom if she marries Reinier, and there are serious religious differences as well. And that will all come up soon enough.

      Of course the human opinion of the dragons up north is biased, and we meet the dragon from Reinier's area that visits, we'll get their view. But as you can imagine, yeah, humans like to take down forests to build their towns and create farmlands, so they are likely responding to humans coming into their territory. While humans of course always think all territory is theirs, lol.

      Sterren's part of the world is what becomes Champs Les Sims. When Farrell first meets Moth in France, it's at the old Celtic burial ground that Moth identifies as the tomb of the Lady.
      Wherever Drake's Hollow is (I don't want to identify it as being any particular country), it isn't France. But dragons have spread out pretty far and wide and pretty much any forest they inhabited would be warded and therefore considered enchanted (or maybe even haunted) by any humans around the area.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I think I've read that, actually. I remember the name and I remember laughing at 'Lecocq' like a child :p

      I think I killed Geoffrey by jellybean. Either that or meteorite, just because I've not had any sims actually die that way. I'm planning a graveyard scene, that may fall on a full moon too, so maybe we'll be able to see a blue Geoff.

      For Sterren, I would think he religion is the main thing as it's her job as well. But I don't see Reinier moving to live with her.

      We humans are pretty rude like that, aren't we? You'd think we'd be satisfied eventually, but we're still taking over land and mowing down forests like they're nothing. Maybe one day a dragon will jump out and stop us...

      Oh, of course it is :p Otherwise why would the Lady's tomb be there? I knew that already, ignore me!

      Delete
  5. Aw man! Why? Why are you making me love a Landgraab? :PPPPP on you! haha.

    Okay, back to the start. Ah. /happy sigh. I just love Auberon and Uvie. Love em love em love em! I love how he keeps his memory of her alive. That's so flipping romantic how you wrote about their love beating together in the stone. <:') I want to believe that it really IS Uvie that visits him. Oh, and I'm happy that we found out that it was indeed a bit of magic to save the little girl.

    That aunt reacted exactly like I thought she might. In her mind, she was doing right, but it was annoying to say the least.

    Now back to the loving couple... what was it he said?
    "Nothing would please me more than to court you for as long and as fervently as you would like, my dear heart, but I do not have the luxury of time. I must marry you soon, or not at all."
    Wow. Och, my romantic heart just twisted in knots. soaring at first, then plunging, then lifting again with a small hope.
    If she DOES marry him, what then will become of her duties to The Lady? :/ Still, if she doesn't.. then her heart will surely ache for him the rest of her life.
    "Grandfather."
    Oh boy. or... girl. but... oh never mind. :)
    I'm getting mixed up with the legacy and this story. I'm so glad I read the legacy as well, even if it took my easily-distracted mind a little while.

    I still don't know what to say about the dragon's mortal lover. Just make a wait and see approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Landgraabs are lovable!

      I like to believe that's really Uvie, too, but I also like to leave room for reader interpretation.

      The aunt is pretty typical, which I think makes her a nice foil for Sterren's more independent outlook.

      Sterren and Reinier do make me sad, because there is such an obvious attraction and even love between them, but so much is stacked against them. And, well, yeah, 'Grandfather' and dire visions and whatnot.
      I'm glad you read the legacy too. =D
      They really are going hand in hand these days, and the connection keeps getting deeper.

      Delete
  6. Oh Uvie and Auberon. You make my heart melt. Sad but true.

    And Gaelle. Damn you woman. Though I am hoping that this means that she will stop seeing her "wild man" and even if the dragon hunters figure out she is the woman Reinier saw, she will be unable to lead them to him because she hasn't seen him in so long.

    I love how strong of a woman Sterren is. Regardless of her aunt's viewpoints or Reinier's convictions, she will make her own decision in her time based on what she wants. I'd be sad for her to give up what truly matters to her like her profession to be his wife, even if he really loves her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, heaven! I have a soft tender spot for Auberon and Uvie, too.

      Ah, Gaelle. It would be nice if it worked out that way. But, you know, probably not, lol.

      Sterren is very independent, and not one to let others make decisions for her. and this is a pretty big one, because no matter how much she loves Reinier, marrying him would change her life in ways she might not be ready to accept.

      Delete
  7. It was great to see Auberon and Uvie together again, even if they were in a different form. I'm sure that is Uvie, if Auberon thinks she's Uvie then that's enough proof for me!

    I really can't blame Sterren for denying his request right away, I mean they have just met. I mean they hit it off pretty well but still...and now it looks like she is almost being pressured into such a big decision. She should use all the time given to her as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aeon! I like to think it's Uvie too. And so does Auberon. =D

      Sterren will definitely be using her time to seriously consider before making her decision.

      Delete
  8. I love the beginning with Auberon and Uvie - it was so sweet :)

    I don't like Reinier's attitude at all, I understand that he's from a very patriarchal society and all, but the way he expects Sterren to accept his proposal suggests to me that he doesn't really know her all that well and I wonder whether he actually loves her for herself or as the image he's formed of her. I certainly don't think either of them would be happy together in the long term as I can't see Reinier accepting Sterren's way of life (or her beliefs) and I don't think she would be happy following his way of life or giving up her beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ali!

      Reinier doesn't really know Sterren very well, nor does she know him. Thy have a strong attraction, but they have a lot to learn about each other.
      He may very well be more in love with an image he's created, since he knows so little about her. Their long term relationship is very uncertain, given the huge cultural differences between them. There's not much of a middle ground for them, one of them would have to give up evrything for them to be together, and that would be bound to make that one unhappy.

      Delete
  9. I think Sterren is absolutely right on this. Unfortunately though, you play with fire long enough you eventually get burned. I have a strange feeling she is going to get burned.

    I miss Uvie and Auberon. I liked seeing them again, even if it was just her spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sterren is in a difficult place. She's attracted to Reinier and has real feelings for him, but she wants to get to know him better before making a commitment like marriage. But they have limited time before he's set to marry another.

      Uvie and Auberon. <3

      Delete
  10. Awwww, I love Reinier. Though I may be the only one... looking at the comments above. LOL.
    I feel so bad for him! Arranged marriage! First I thought he was being a little pushy, but I thought that was normal in medieval times, what do I know, LOL. But then I found out he's being forced into some marriage with some chick he doesn't love. Sadness, I'd hate to have to marry someone I didn't love.
    Of course, Uvie and Auberon make me smile so much. When you wrote about that jewel being their hearts all intertwined, beating together, I was like awwwwwww! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LateKnight. I did want Reinier to have a lovable, sympathetic side to him.
      He is being forced into an arranged marriage by his father, and he lives pretty much by the whims of his father in a society where the male head of household rules his family like a king. The fact that his culture does treat people as property is both something you can pity Reinier for but it's also a red flag that should be warning Sterren to run from this situation.

      Uvie and Auberon will always be special to me. =D

      Delete
    2. Yeah, treating people as property is not good. I have some faith in him though since he doesn't like being treated as property, maybe he'll not treat others as property... :)

      Delete
    3. LOL, You are the only one to put faith in the Landgraab. But that's very open minded of you. =D

      Delete
  11. Auberon :( His dreams are real, Uvie is real. They have that special bond created by his heart living in her for so long, so of course it has some of her in it as well.

    I think that any union between Reinier and Sterren will be a rocky one. They both would need to accept the things about the other that they don't really like. Then there is the problem with Reinier believing in the Watcher and Sterren not. That will be her downfall if she enters his world. Will his people consider her a hedge witch or something and taunt her and then kill her? ugh :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D I tend to favor the 'Uvie is real' interpretation as well. She and Auberon are a special pairing to me.

      Definitely a rocky union between Sterren and Reinier. They would have a lot to overcome if they did marry.

      Delete
  12. An eternal love=).

    I'm hoping(fingers crossed), that Sterren marries Reinier, I can't help but love them as a couple. I understand her caution but do believe she has feelings for him, and if he does not have feelings for her he's an excellent pretender...edenz~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think my favorite love story so far is Auberon and Uvie! I certainly hope it is the real Uvie, too! Although I wonder because her love for him had certainly faded over the years as she lived with her husband.

    I worry that Sterren is going to wind up with a blasted Landgraab! ;) Let Landgraab marry the princess Goth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auberon was Uvie's first love. And she did truly love him, for her entire life. But in a lot of ways he was like a fantasy love. And her love for her mate Ardax was a more mature kind of love. Which doesn't I think lessen what she had with Auberon, but she had needs I don't think he was capable of fulfilling, simply because there was so much about humans that he did not understand.
      Ah, Sterren and Reinier. I won't spoil it for you.
      Her importance to him though just seems to grow even though she's long gone.

      Sterren and Reinie

      Delete