Friday, September 14, 2012

Chapter 16: This Vision Before Him


______________________


"You are past the age where most girls take a mate," Tor says wearily, having made this explanation twice already only to be faced with Uvie's intractable glare, "Having two Spirit Talkers in the tribe will only confuse and divide the people. If you and Ardax were mated, things would go easier."

"And so I'm to take a mate just make things easier for you?" Uvie asks in scorn, "I told you I will not, and you cannot change my answer with your pleas."


"I am chief," Tor says, his voice low and firm, "You will do as I tell you."

"Enough," Uvie says, raising her hand to dismiss her chief, "I will choose a mate when I am ready, and not before." She'd grown up watching her mother treat Tor in this fashion, and so far it has worked for Uvie as well. Tor never liked using his station to compel his people, preferring to convince them his way was the best and have them follow his demands willingly. For now, she knows, he won't force the issue, but eventually, if the people truly show signs of unease or unrest at having both herself and Ardax, he will.


"I told Tor I will not be made to be mated to you," Uvie says, her voice harsh with anger, when she comes upon Ardax gathering herbs in the forest.

"I told him that would be your answer when he came to me with his plan," Ardax says gently, not looking up from his work, "I advised him not to bring it up with you at all."

"So you could seduce me on your own time, and take my place as Spirit Talker?"



Ardax rises at her accusation, "I was in the forest, too far away from our to help, to do anything, when the dragons took my woman and our two children. I think if I had been there, all I could have done was die along with them, and I regret that that is not what happened, that I must live without them, and serve a new chief. I brought what was left of our people here to find a home, some kind of safety. I'm not seeking your place, or a mate. No one can replace what I've lost."



"I--I'm sorry, Ardax," Uvie fumbles for words, feeling foolish,"I didn't know..."

"Accept the gift of my experience, Uvie," Ardax says, "You cannot serve your tribe if you don't know them. We are new here, but your chief --our chief-- has accepted us, and you, the Spirit Talker, have not so much as spoken any but me. Tor is right to worry about his people being divided and confused. I do not seek to take your position, I will stand in second place to you. But if you mean to be Spirit Talker, you must serve your people, not just your spirit."



Neither of them takes notice of the moth fluttering about Ardax's shoulders as they converse. Such a small and harmless creature is of little importance to the humans and is free to go about its business undisturbed.



Tania stands in the shadows, watching. The mortals will not see her any more than they notice her spy; eyes are easily fooled by the simplest illusions, and to them she will be nothing more than the play of light on the leaves. But she rather than risk getting any closer, she sent moth in to listen to what she cannot hear at this distance.


When the mortals part ways, Moth returns to report to Tania. "The female was angry, the mortal they call chief wished her to mate with the male. But the male did not wish to be mated either," Moth says, his voice as fluttery as his wings, words moving almost to quickly to be heard, "His woman and children had ben killed by dragons, recently I gathered, and his heart still mourns them. He said he wishes he'd died with them."


"Thank you, Moth," Tania says, a plan forming in her mind, "I believe I can offer that poor mortal some relief. In return for a favor, of course. You will not speak to Auberon of this, will you, Moth?"

"You shouldn't set yourself against Auberon, Summerdream," Moth gives advice he knows will be ignored.

"I am doing this for Auberon," Tania says, "If he can't see the danger he's in, it is up to me to save him from himself."


Ardax is still out gathering as the sun starts to set. In truth, he has more than he needs, but he prefers the solitude of the forest, and being away from the camp keeps him from getting in the young Spirit Talker's way as she tries to fit the position she's taken. He looks up suddenly from the plant he's harvesting, sensing movement nearby, but seeing only the dance of light over the grass.


"Mortal," Tania calls to him, allowing herself to be seen, a nimbus of light surrounding her.

"You are a spirit of this place?" Ardax asks, barely finding his voice in his awe of her beauty. Uvie had said the spirits here were different than those they knew in their homelands, but he had never imagined anything so wondrous as this vision before him.

"You wish to be reunited with your woman and your little ones?" Tania asks, "I can do this for you."

"That isn't possible," Ardax says. Accepting the death of his family had been hard, but he had no choice but acceptance.

"Nothing is impossible for me," Tania assures him, smiling gently, "I can reunite you with your family, not in death, but in life."

If it were possible, Ardax would do anything to see Thari again, watch their children play...

"All you have to do is open yourself to me, let me in to your mind," Tania says.


Uvie is startled awake late that night by an intruder.

"Ardax?" she says, recognizing her attacker, her mind still half asleep and unalert to the knife he holds above her, "What are you doing here?"


She comes fully awake when he lifts her up and presses the knife to her throat, "Auberon's heart is not for the likes of you," he growls, his voice strange, unrecognizable, "I will not allow you to keep it."

Nothing about him seems right, Uvie thinks, he looks like Ardax, but this is not the man she spoke to earlier today.


But whoever or whatever has taken his body means to kill her and tear Auberon's heart from her dead body, and Uvie is not about to let that happen. Moving quickly, she wraps a leg around one of his, pulling him down so he loses his balance and drops the knife.


Before Ardax can fall to the ground, Auberon is there, one hand wrapped around his throat, lifting him as though he were made of straw, not flesh and bone.


"Don't hurt him, Auberon," Uvie pleas as Auberon's hand tightens around his neck, choking him.

"He meant to kill you," Auberon says, "He does not deserve your mercy."

"That's not him. Something--someone has possessed him. Please, Auberon, let him go. He's a good man."


Auberon loosens his grip, and whatever animated Ardax's body leaves it, and he falls unconscious to the floor.

"What did you do to him?" Uvie asks, kneeling beside him.

"I did nothing," Auberon answers, "But there is fae magic at work here." Tania, of course. He was a fool to think she wouldn't interfere.

"We have to help him," Uvie says.

"He's locked inside his own mind, which left his body open to be used against his will. The fairy who did this has fled, but left him imprisoned. She could be forced to free him, but she will know the depth of my anger and she will not be easy to find," Auberon says, already planning the ways he will punish Summerdream once he does find her, "If you wish to bring this one back to his body, you must enter his dream."



Uvie had never entered another person's dream, but her mother had explained it to her, showed her the path out of her own mind's landscape and into those of her tribe mates. It's not a thing to be done lightly, for sport, Aven had told her, for entering another mind can be dangerous to both parties. But sometimes the nature of an illness will only reveal itself to the healer if she takes that risk, faces it head on in the soul of the one who is stricken.


"Ardax," she greets him as she approaches, seeing what bait the fairy who took must have lured him with. He would be too strong to be tempted by promises of power or glory, but to be with his family again...Uvie cannot blame him falling into this trap. "I need your help, Spirit Talker," she says, knowing she must appear to be part of his dream for him to even see her there.


"What has happened?" Ardax asks, rising to consult with her just as he would if this were the real world.

"A man has become trapped in a dream by an evil spirit," Uvie says, "I must find a way to free him."

"You have to lure the spirit out of his mind," Ardax advises.

Uvie nods, "I have done this, But, though the evil is gone, the man will not leave the dream he is in. You see, his family was killed recently, and in this dream, he is with them again."


"You will have to enter his dream, then," Ardax says, "Be careful not to startle him, approach him as though you are a figment of the dream, and..." realization hits him as he speaks. "That is what you are doing here, isn't it Uvie? Were my family truly alive, if this were real, I would not even know you."


"I'm sorry, Ardax," Uvie says, "I know it will be hard for you to lose them again. But this is just a dream."


"How did I come to be here?" Ardax asks when he wakens in her hut, having no memory of what was done with his body while he dreamed.

Uvie tells him of the night's events, his sudden attack and how he was left unconscious when the spirit who possessed him had fled, leaving out any mention of Auberon, who prefers not to be seen or known by the others of her kind.


"Her hair was the color of the sky at dawn," Ardax tells her, "And she glowed like the morning star. I knew she must be one of the spirits here, the ones you've encountered, but I was a fool to believe her promises."

"Don't blame yourself," Uvie says, "We are in the habit of trusting spirits to guide us, and expecting to recognize evil in its ugliness. But, these spirits can hide their evil behind their beauty."


Ardx leaves her hut before dawn's light begins to glow, to return to his own tent. But he won't sleep, he thinks, he won't let his mind walk down the path of dream again this night.


"Auberon?" Uvie asks the empty air of her hut, hoping he is still there.


He answers her call with an embrace. "You did well, my little love," he whispers against her neck.


"Will you stay with me now, until the morning?" she asks.

His answer comes not in words, but in his kiss.


21 comments:

  1. Poor Ardax. =( To know you were taken advantage of like that... must be so scary.

    Auberon, I think you and Tania need another talk before you go getting Uvie naked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel for Ardax, to have his feelings for his lost family used to manipulate him that way.

      It's too late for the before getting her naked talk, lol.

      Delete
  2. Tease!!

    Tania has struck a new low with this! One we KNOW Auberon will not take lightly. And I'll whisper in his ear, so he doesn't forget it!

    I understand Tania (reluctantly), Auberon has been hers (in a way) and now he leans to Uvie. It was never the plan to leave his heart with her, let alone her swallowing it, but it happened! It wasn't Auberon's choice he now feels so strongly about Uvie.

    (I love the way this couple came together, quickly stealing first place! Def my fav couple right now. To be honest, Auberon is even hotter then Aymeri right now... I have a new dragon, hihi)

    Great update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know, Jem, I'm horrible. I even have the full on sex pics, but I just left the scene where it was instead of showing the whole thing. But I know you have a good imagination to fill in the gaps. ;D

      Tania's jealousy isn't just about having Auberon to herself, because she's always had to share him, but the fact that he's has quite literally lost his heart to this mortal. She does think she'll be rescuing him if she breaks that bond.

      I admit I'm on an Auberon/Uvie high myself right now, so the story is naturally focusing on them. But poor Uvie though, it just means trouble for her. Hopefully it's worth it.

      Delete
    2. Typo:
      Auberon is Fae --- not Draconus LOL

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVED the final photo, and understand fully why Uvie wouldn't want to marry. I mean... I'd be saving myself for Auberon too! Mrr~

    I'm curious to see how Tania's planning on winning him back, because after that kind of a fuck up I fully expect Auberon to be angry enough to smite her on sight. I hope they have a nice loooong talk about their relationship, and I hope Ardax heals from that heart break.

    (I know if your old lore, fae and humans breed easily, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for an Auberon/Uvie baby... even though I would REALLY love that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You save yourself for a guy who sleeps with everyone? xD

      Delete
    2. I think I have issues... But yes.

      Delete
    3. LOL, you probably would have loved the photos I didn't end up using. I went through my pose list and then cut the scene short in the end.

      Auberon is pretty angry at Tania right now. But, historically (or, folklorically?) these two were constantly fighting or romancing, and frequently off with other lovers, and that's how I want to portray them here.

      Hmm, well, I wouldn't save myself for Auberon, but I think he'd be fun to play with, as long as you keep no illusions about his constancy. He haz none.

      Delete
  4. "His answer comes not in words, but in his kiss."
    *dies*

    Oh baby.

    Poor Ardax. That Tania is devious. I understand her jealousy, but he is lost to her now.

    I think Uvie is lonely. She doesn't feel connected to her people; she feels connected to Auberon and HIS spirit world. If only she weren't mortal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my pal!
      Ardax did have a rough time, hopefully he will be able to move on.
      Tania did end pushing Auberon even further away from her when her plan backfired, he won't be reacy to kiss and make up any time soon.

      Uvie is a little alienated from her people, though she wants to serve them and be loved by them, she hasn't shown much interested in being around them. And she does have a stronger connection to Auberon and the more mystical side of things.

      Delete
  5. Lots of new problems. I wonder if anyone saw Ardax leaving Uvie's hit in the middle of the night. Tania will be very sorry for her actions I hope. Jealousy is vicious and ugly. Auberon is getting himself in very deep. Is it because his heart is with her that he has such a strong pull? I like Uvie, but I am worried for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I wonderif anyone saw him, too.
      Tania, sorry for her actions? LOL, probably not.
      Auberon's heart being with Uvie is very big part of why he's do drawn to her. A part of himself has been incorporated inside her. But he had already shown some signs of affection or at least admiration before that happened...I think if she hadn't swallowed the heart jewel that he might have pursued something with her out of curiosity at least. But it has gotten much deeper for him than that.
      Uvie definitely has some difficult times ahead with Tania after her. But she has at least got a friend now in Ardax.

      Delete
  6. Oh--poor Ardax! :(

    You always have such good looking sims! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Ardax is very much grieving the loss of his family.
      And thanks! Most of my Sims are made from Sims that were born in my various neighborhoods. I rarely make them from scratch.

      Delete
  7. Tania....ugh she deserves everything Auberon can throw at her and more. What she done was very cruel and unkind, I hope Ardax can again find peace within himself. He is my favorite character right now, he's very understanding and patient even within his grief.

    I am wondering what Auberon is planning to do with her and what his plans for he and Uvie are, loved this chapter...mostly because Tania got caught!=b...edenz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, edenz! Tania did sink really low, using Ardax to try to kill Uvie. And she got caught and Auberon is pised off, lol.
      I'm so glad you like Ardax, he really is a very understanding and patient man, and the best example of a healer.

      Delete
  8. See Tania is only out to start trouble and now she thinks she knows what is best for Auberon. She's really risking it though and it seems like Auberon is convinced that she's the one responsible for this.

    For Ardax, I wonder if he would have just been content within his own dream. I mean with all that Auberon told Tania about her own dreams! Ardax though is helpful and it's good that Uvie has him around.

    I can't wait to see what Auberon does to Tania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aeon!

      Tania does think she knows what's best for Auberon. She's seen how he's changing since he's been involved with Uvie, and she doesn't like it.

      I don't know if Ardax would have been happy in his dream forever. I'm not the only writer to play with this idea. I think you've played Dragon Age, so you must be familiar with the Fade segments of that game, like the templar ensorcelled by the desire demon, or Sten in the Fade if you bring him on the circle mission. He's aware that it's an illusion, but he's back with his men and happy there, and you really have to push him to get him to come back to you.
      I think for Ardax ultimately, though he is grieving and would do anything to get his family back, he also has a powerful drive to serve his people, and being in a dream with an illusory version of his family would ultimately not be enough for him.

      Delete
  9. *flips off Tania* Ok, now that that's out of the way, I heart Ardax. He's so... nice and sweet. :D I just want to give him a hug. LOL.
    Sexy pic at the end, oh baby. What I wish would happen to Tania will not, but every story needs a good conflict, and she's good at that, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ardax, too. He's just a really great guy. And the way Tabia used him, playing off his grief, was really horrible.
      Tania is definitely a huge source of conflict in this story.

      Delete