Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chapter 11: Whatever the Future Brings


______________________


"Arrogant fairy," Aymeri mutters again as he and Riain walk through the night forest, heading for the fairies' home. When Aubern had disappeared earlier that day, the dragons, not knowing where he went, had little choice but to trust the fairy would be able to rescue Ico on his own.

"Auberon is arrogant," Riain agrees, "But there is real power behind it. I've seen it, and our brethren would do well to consider before taking the fairies on in battle."

Aymeri halts their trek to turn and face his brother. "Tell me," he says, "Tell me what you've learned."

"You saw yourself, the way he made the rain fall," Riain says, "He can makes things appear by his will alone."

"You admire him?" Aymeri asks.



Riain shakes his head, "It's not admiration, brother, but I won't blind myself to what he could do to us if we went to war against him." Shayeleigh's claws dig into his shoulders, and Riain reaches up to smooth her feathers, "I will defend you, no matter what," he promises in a whisper, and then turns back to Aymeri, "I worry that he will not wait for our council to decide this matter."

"And you would stand with Auberon if he attacked first?" Aymeri asks, looking at the fairy perched on his brother's shoulder.

"I'd have to," Riain answers solemnly, "I'm loyal to you, brother, you know that. But Shayeleigh carries my child. I have to protect her."

"A child?" Aymeri asks, his thoughts turning immediately to what this possibility could mean for himself and Ico, and more, how it will affect their nest. Tearhne has been very tolerant of her mates' wanderings, but bringing the children of other females into the nest might be more than she'll allow. "This changes everything," he continues, thinking further about how the females will react to this. For some, like his mother, it would be all the more reason to segregate fairies from dragons, but for others, Riain and Shayeleigh's baby could be the proof that their kinds are not so different and must live in harmony. "Do you want me to tell Tearhne, or will you do it?" he asks Riain, turning his mind back to the most immediate concern. 

"You are First, and you know her best," Riain answers, his evasive making it obvious he'd rather Aymeri take the responsibility, "You know I came to our nest for you, brother. Tearhne and I..."

Aymeri nods, not needing his brother to finish. He recruited Riain when he came of age, choosing him for the very gentleness that made him easy prey for the hazing of the more aggressive males of their kind. Tearhne had never objected to his choice for their third, trusting the judgment of her First, but she and Riain never found the common ground to make their mating more than a formality.


Aymeri watches as Riain coaxes Shayeleigh down to his arm, petting her head affectionately as he asks her to show her herself. "Don't be afraid," he whispers, "Aymeri is my brother. Except for you, no one is closer to me than he is."


Shayeleigh stands shyly behind Riain as she takes her true form, whispering a barely audible "Well met," in greeting.


Auberon's remaining energy runs out as soon as he and Ico are transported back to his house, and he collapses into Tania's lap to sleep.


"He left here with Shayeleigh and that dragon," Tania says to Ico, "Why is she not with you?"

"Auberon was alone when came for me," Ico answers, "I must go find Aymeri." She rises to leave, but Tania calls her back.

"Where were you," she asks, "What happened?"

"Auberon can tell you when he wakes," Ico says, walking away from the frowning fairy, "Aymeri will be worried about me."


Aymeri comes on her just as she's making her way down the well lit path leading from the house, and sweeps her into a tight embrace that expresses his joy and relief at seeing her.

"I shouldn't have let you go off alone," he says between kisses, "Tell me what happened."


Ico tells him the story of her capture and eventual rescue.

"I'll destroy them all," he vows solemnly, looking into her eyes with grim purpose.

"You will not," Ico answers, her lips turned in the slightest of smiles, "Auberon took care of the one responsible, the rest are innocent."

A low growl rumbles in Aymeri's chest; he should have been the one to save her, he should have been with her to protect her, and it angers him that the arrogant fairy took his place.

Ico runs a hand through Aymeri's hair, knowing what he's thinking. "Auberon is not so different from you, my love. All fairies are like his nest, and he sees it as his place to protect us all, and nothing, not even the angers of dragons, will keep him from carrying out his duty."


Riain doesn't speak of it, but he has every reason to wish to avoid going back into the house Auberon created. Aymeri would prefer to sleep outdoors, and even the fairies, though they don't fear or distrust Auberon's magic, have little love for the enclosed space he built, so the foursome camp in an area close by.


They spend only a little time in each other's company before splitting off into pairs, finding private spots beneath the trees to make their beds.

"I'm afraid," Shayeleigh whispers, taking his hand into hers, "If there is war, and you have to fight your own kind..."

"I have been fighting my own kind for as long as I can remember," Riain answers her, "Don't be afraid for me."



"The first time I saw you, you were fighting those hunters, to save me," Shayeleigh says, pulling the tie from his hair as he wraps her legs around his waist, "But, you are not a fighter truly, not in your heart."

It's strange for him to hear those words not as an accusation or a taunt, but as praise from one who values his more peaceful nature. "I am not," he agrees, "But nothing urges me to fight more than thought of anyone threatening you or our child."


"I'm not a dragon," Ico says, her voice a low murmur against his chest, "I don't want to live in your nest, with your brothers, your mate and your child. I want to be amongst my own kind, free of your laws and rules."

"I am First," he answers, "I can't walk away from that, or from my son."

"I know," she whispers, "So what do we do?"


Aymeri has no ready answer for question. The changes are coming than his capacity to adapt to them, and the future has never been more uncertain. Through his youth he had only one goal, to be the First of his and to lead it to the upper echelon of dragon society. That his leadership would come through a revolution never entered his thoughts, but it is the path he's he's found himself on. "We'll find a way," he promises her, holding her close, "Whatever the future brings, I won't lose you."


12 comments:

  1. Both dragons and fairies have a lot to consider. I hope war doesn't come between them, but as in every society, there will be some who do not want the change to their status quo, so to say. Love each update and the pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Fae! There always is resistance change, and changes are coming in a big way for both societies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit to being curious from the start how Tearhne would react to dragon-fae babies. I'm looking forward to Aymeri's talk with her. It might even be interesting to see if that changed her position backing Aymeri.

    Bird Shayleigh is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be an interesting talk, that's for sure.
      Bird Shayeleigh is a Spotted Sixam, iirc. They are very pretty, with the lovely blue feathers. I have a ton of close ups of her sitting on Riain's shoulder that I haven't used.

      Delete
  4. Oh! A baby between two species is going to make things a lot more interesting. I mean will it bring them closer together or further apart? I could see it going both ways....but I also wonder how powerful such a creature would be!

    Enjoyed it as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aeon!
      This baby could mean a lot of changes for dragon society, which currently is structured into polyandrous nests because of the unbalanced malt to female ratio. But if the males can mate and breed with fairies, will they be content to continue sharing a dragon mate?

      Delete
  5. So is there going to be a dragonfae, Ha ha!. Sorry, I am to the point that Aymeri needs to do exactly what he is thinking but he also shouldn't give up his "dragon hood". I have and will always believe the heart wants what the heart wants. There is nothing either can do.

    Great chapter, on to the next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aymeri does have some big decisions to make. And circumstances might force his hand in some cases.
      Thanks for reading, Paula!

      Delete
  6. I like how Ico compared Auberon's sole rescue of her as a dragon would protect his nest. It is true that they are somewhat similar in some ways. I liked the little double date at the end, even though they split off into pairs later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some similarities between Auberon and Aymeri. They both will go to great lengths to protect their kind.

      Delete
  7. It'll be interesting to see what choice Riain makes about whether to stay with the dragons or live with his love and his child.

    And Aymeri faces a similar choice soon with Ico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choice is a little harder for Aymeri, because he has a lot more invested in his nest than Riain did. For Riain,his sense of brotherhood with Aymeri is really the only thing that might hod him back, but for Aymeri, he has a son and his position to think of.
      And of course, their whole society is also on the brink of a major decision that will affect both couples.

      Delete