Friday, June 15, 2012

Chapter 2: A Fairy at Our Fire


While he was with her, making love to the fairy beneath the waterfall, everything seemed so right, like there was nothing in the world but himself and Ico. But it was wrong, and he endangered his nest.

"Seirian," he says, coming upon his second nest brother tending the flame fruits.


"You've been out all day," Seirian says, rising to greet him, "Have you seen Brys?"

"He hasn't come back?" 

Seirian shakes his head, "Not since he stormed off last night. Tearhne was pretty hard on him. You know how he gets when he's in a mood. I worry he'll be careless and get himself seen."

"He'll come back, he always does. I'll talk to Tearhne," Aymeri assures his brother, not mentioning his own incident. From Brys, they would expect this kind of indiscretion, but not from Aymeri. Of course, Brys would have killed the fairy on sight, solving the problem before it began. "She needs to take care of him before he starts challenging us all."

"Aye, let him wrestle with her," Seirian laughs, "What have you been doing? You smell...flowery."

Her scent. It clings to him, though he swam all the way back to his nest, her scent did not wash away. "I must speak with Tearhne," Aymeri says, avoiding his question.


Tearhne will have to be told, and he will have to face his brothers and stand judgment. They'll want to know why he didn't kill the fairy, how he could put his whole nest at risk for love of an outsider. 

On his way to Tearhne, Aymeri takes a moment to play with Talfryn. "Flower," the dragonling says, nuzzling his father's hair. Even the child can smell the fairy on him.

The nest comes first, every dragon learns this with his first steps, his first words. How could he have forgotten that, even in a moment of passion?



"Tearhne," he whispers her name as her wraps his arms around her,  "We're worried about Brys." The simple matters first, Aymeri decides. "When he returns, you should make it up to him."

"So now you're taking it on yourself to decide my bed partners for me?" she answers with a laugh.


"I'm giving you my advice, as your first," Aymeri says gently, "You hurt Brys' feelings, and he lashes out at us. If you do nothing, I'll keep him in line, as I always do. But it would be better for the nest if you made it up to him. He's your nest mate, he needs your love more than he needs my hand."

"You're right," Tearhne sighs, "When he comes back, send him to me. Why do you smell like flowers?"


Ico followed his trail through the streams boring under the mountains, to pool in the low grounds near the shore, and when her head rises back into the air, she sees he is not alone. Of course, she thinks, he went back to his home, to his kin. And she remembers the last words he spoke before Tania came upon them, that it would mean his life if his kin were to learn he had been with her. So Ico keeps out of sight, watching, waiting to catch him on his own.


"I allowed myself to become trapped by a fairy," Aymeri admits, no longer able to avoid it.

"You allowed...?" she asks, "How did it trap you? Did it see your true form?"

"She did. I had already transformed when she came upon me. She'd been tracking me. She said she wanted to ride a dragon," Aymeri smiles fondly as he speaks the words, despite his anger at her, and at himself for falling for her.

"She ensorcelled you somehow?"

"No," Aymeri admits, "I gave myself to her. I gave her my name, willingly." And they'd spent hours together, making love, whispering to each other about nothing, and not once did she attempt even the simplest magic. If that had been her intent, she'd had the opportunity, while his guard was down. Yet she did not, not even when the other fairy told her to bind him before he got away. Ico let him go rather than use her magic on him. He remembers her face as he left her, her tears and her desperation, and he realizes his mistake.

"So, you weren't really trapped," Tearhne says, perceiving the truth much quicker than he did.


"Another fairy came upon us, and I..."

"Made some rash assumptions and stormed off in anger?" Tearhne surmises, knowing the temperament of a male dragon very well, having four of them in her nest.

"Aye," Aymeri admits, remembering with the regret the last words he spoke to Ico in his rage, "That I did."

"You've been seen by two fairies, that still live with this knowledge," Tearhne says with a sigh.

"I could not kill her," Aymeri says, "I would not kill her now, even if it meant my life."


She didn't hear his approach or feel the disturbance in the water as he slipped behind her, unaware of him until his arms here around her, his hand covering her mouth.

"I've got you, fairy," he growls in her ear.


Ico struggles as he pulls her  from the water, and quickly discovers that she's unable to use her magic here. The dragons have a magic of their own in place, a protective ward that leaves her powerless.


"Let her go, Brys," Aymeri commands, "She's here for me."


"I caught her, that makes her mine," Brys snarls, throwing the fairy to the ground so he can take a swing at his elder nest brother.


Aymeri responds with a blow that sends Brys flying backwards. The rest of the nest gathers to witness the challenge, but do not interfere.


He lunges at Aymeri again only to be forced over his brother's knee.


"One day, you will learn not to challenge me," Aymeri growls as he pulls Brys' arm behind his back, "Until that day, you will be grateful that I'm able to restrain myself."


Having made his point, Aymeri helps Brys back up to his feet. "Tearhne wants to see you tonight," he says, smiling as he claps his youngest brother on the back.

"You've got fairy all over you," Brys observes, "What have you been doing?"



"Did he hurt you?" Aymeri asks, kneeling in font of her.

Ico shakes her head, terrified but unharmed.

"When we parted, I said things to you in anger that I now regret," he says gently.

"You said some things to me in passion, too," she answers, "Do you regret those words as well?"

"No, I don't regret what we shared, Ico. I only regret what this will mean for my nest. Your coming here was my doing, because I left you in a rage. And now you've seen us, all of us..."


Tearhne approaches, handing a length of fabric to Ico. "You'd best cover yourself," she says gently, "With four adult male dragons about..." Tearhne doesn't finish the thought, "We have to decide what to do about this," she says to Aymeri.


Tearhne's nest gathers around their fire, and Aymeri tells his brothers how a fairy happens to be among them.


"I wouldn't have killed her either," Riain admits when Aymeri's tale is done.


"And what of the other fairy?" Seirian asks, "By now she must have told her nest about us."

"We don't have nests," Ico says quietly, almost afraid to speak in their presence, "Tania will have told Auberon, I'm sure. We are curious about your kind. But we mean you no harm, truly."


"You have your curiosity, and we have our laws," Tearhne says, "None but a dragon can see our true form and live."

"We have to kill them all," Brys says, "The other nests would have to join us to go to war with the fairies."



"That's probably the worst idea you've ever had, Brys," Riain says, "There must be a way to resolve this without involving the other nests, and without resorting to violence."

"We have a fairy at our fire, Riain," Brys points out, "The other nests will find out eventually. If we let this one live, they'll come for us."


"I've taken you down once today, Brys, don't make me do it again. Ico is under my protection," Aymeri growls. "But you are right, about the other nests. I won't see our nest endangered because of what I've done. If I leave with Ico now, they'll never know she was among us. Cast me out as a lawbreaker, and the other nests won't turn on you."


"And where will you go, brother? To live with the fairies?" Seirian asks, "The other nests won't allow that; they'll come after you and make war on all of them. And they'll expect us to join with them. I won't do that. I'll stand with you and defend your fairy."


"Our nest should stand together," Riain agrees, "If you leave, I leave with you."


"The nest comes first," Brys agrees, and all three of them rise to stand with their brother.

"We stand together, Aymeri," Tearhne says, the final word on the matter. She often boasts to other females about her nest, how close they keep their bonds of brotherhood, how well they work together. It's no easy task, keeping the tempers of so many males in line, keeping their squabbles and challenges from turning fatal, keeping the nest from turning on itself. She knows well that she owes her nest's unity to Aymeri, her first. He inspires their loyalty in ways she's never seen another dragon accomplish, he keeps them in line without fostering resentment, and each of her subsequent mates had fought for a place in her nest as much to be lead by him as to be mated with her. Even Seirian, who turned down an offer to be another female's first so that he could be her second. "And your fairy can come and go among us as she pleases. The other nests will have to accept that, or fight us." Her nest is young and still low in the order of dragon society, but Tearhne has ambitions, to see her nest rise to the top. Defying the law this way could destroy them, if she let it, but if she means to lead, then she will do it by refusing to follow laws that get in the way of her nest's happiness. "I will call for a gathering," she decides, "We won't wait for the other nests to question us, we will come out fighting to change the law to allow us to keep our fairy."


"Walk with me," he says, wrapping his arm round her and leading her into the woods around their camp.


"Why are dragons so secretive?" Ico asks, "Why do you wish to hide from us?"

"That's the way it's always been," Aymeri answers, "Your kind must have laws you keep, traditions you'd kill to defend."

"Fairies have no laws," Ico says, "We do as we please."

Aymeri tries to imagine living without laws, and sees nothing but chaos and infighting, "I don't think dragons would survive without some form of restraint. Left to ourselves, we'd kill each other."

Ico shudders, thinking of the casual way Brys suggested they kill her and go to war on her kind. "What have we done?" she asks, her voice breaking, "I only wanted to love you, not bring the wrath of all dragons down on my kind."


"We couldn't have gone on unseen forever. It was bound to happen that a fairy would come upon a dragon in his true form. If it hadn't been me, and it hadn't been you, there would have been blood. A dragon like Brys would have killed you without thought. And your kind would have retaliated. What we've done with our love is give both our kinds a chance to make peace before we make war."



Aymeri unties the knot holding her simple dress around her and they sink down to the forest floor together, legs and arms wrapped around each other.

"We couldn't have done anything else," he says, kissing her neck, "I am your dragon, Ico, and will love and protect you through all eternity."

37 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I removed the comment and my reply for spoilers. I couldn't find a way to just edit out the spoilery bits.

      Delete
  2. It was really neat seeing the culture of the dragons. Tearhne is one lucky woman (dragon?) to have that many sexy males to choose from and play with. ;) And that they all get along, at least most of the time, is even better. She's truly beautiful as well. I like Riain (the blonde, level headed one) a lot too, though Aymeri <3.

    Also, just kind of a nod to the other legacy: is Tierney somehow a nod to Tearhne from here? In my head they sound rather similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, polyandry is awesome when you get your pick of sexy guys. =D
      I'm rather fond of Riain, too.

      And yes, the names of all Aymeri's nest mates are a nod to his children with Allyriane in my legacy (Ryanne, Tearney, Seirian and Bryce). Being the sentimental type, he named all his children after them.

      Delete
    2. Oh silly of me to forget the others! I love the sentiment though!

      Delete
    3. It's pretty easy to forget the names of spares in an old legacy. =D Especially when they got almost no screen time.

      Delete
  3. Loved the update. The characters are fantastic and the sets are beautiful. Or the other way around.
    "And what of the other fairy?" Seirian asks. "Come get me" I reply. haha... I like him ^_^
    Now I need to read the legacy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fae! Seirian is yours for the asking. I love all my dragons, and I'm happy you are enjoying them as well.

      Delete
  4. I recognized the names of the spares immediately. Yay me.

    The dragons are all very cool looking. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected you would. You are amazing at remembering stuff like that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I bet you didn't recognize Seirian as a clone of Amit/Aiden. =P I hardly recognize him with the new hair, tbh.

      Delete
    3. Nah. Actually, I have a hard time recognizing people. =(

      After a long enough time studying a certain face I'll begin to not mistake it for others, but... well... as a toddler, I even mistook someone else for my mother. If I become separated from friends in a store, I might very well walk up to the wrong person and start talking to them. I find a lot of live action movies and anime unwatchable because I can't tell the characters apart (as opposed to western animation). So what possessed me to try guessing with sims... I don't know. I went about six months in middle school before realizing the redhead with a bob cut sitting next to me in PE class wasn't the same redhead with a bob cut from math class.

      I think I'm getting better with my own sims in-game, by virtue of having stared directly at them for a long time. ^^'

      Sorry to like, go off on a mildly depressing and embarrassing topic.

      I'm dying to know about those spoilers Cece got. =P

      I also remember Talfryn, your 10th generation teacher from the McDermott legacy. But I know he's unrelated. I seem to remember you saying you got the name Talfryn from somewhere, but I don't remember where. And I do remember what Aymeri said of his son's fate. )=

      Curious: T doesn't seem to be mad that Aymeri and Ico were having sex. Would it have bothered her if he'd been with another dragon?

      I think I like Riain's look the most, but Brys is very fun to look at. That one hair strand somehow makes his nose look big, hehe. ^^

      ...If a human saw a dragon in "human form" in this world, would they also have to be killed? Or would they be left alone because they wouldn't have realized it was a dragon?

      Delete
    4. I didn't really give Cece spoilers, but she mentioned what Aymeri said about his son in my legacy, and someone suggested to me that that was a bit spoilery for those who haven't read the legacy. So, nothing you don't already know, basically. What I said to Cece was that I don't feel tied to adhering to the legacy version of events, but some elements from that will turn up here.

      Talfryn is a Welsh name. I didn't mean to relate back to the McDermott Talfryn, I just like the name and all the other dragon names were of Celtic origin so I stuck to the theme. Except Aymeri, which is a French medieval name.

      I don't think female dragons mate outside of their nests, though I was toying with the idea of females trading/loaning out their nest mates with each other in arranged deals. I'm still working out certain details of dragon society. I don't see sexual jealousy as big issue for them, though being such a law based society, they might have strict laws about that, too.. Aymeri and Ico's union is the first of its kind, as dragons have until now kept their 'human' forms secret from everyone else. And illegal in the sense that he should have killed her as soon as she saw him. Though that law was really more about keeping the dragons careful about being seen than it is about a license to kill wantonly.

      Brys has a big nose, it's not the hair, lol. It's wide, so you see it most from front angles, in profile it doesn't seem so large.

      Right now the humans of this world are in the cave man stage. They would have to be killed if the dragons viewed them as sentient. But at this point, they might just be seen as dumb prey (and therefore, to be killed and eaten, rather than killed to protect dragon privacy). Comforting, I know.
      Humans will be appearing in the story at some point, I have ideas around that, including dragon/human relations, and fairy/human relations.

      When I was a freshman in college, I would never recognize my roommate outside of the dorm. I'd run into her on campus, she'd start talking to me, and I'd be like, 'Who are you?". But I'm not usually like that, it was just her. =P

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm...could be a very interesting future for faeries and dragons if Aymeri and Ico have managed to get the dragons rethinking their laws. However I'm sure there are good and bad on both sides and there will always be umm...disagreements, loved this update=)....edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, edenz! There will be a lot of changes and adjustments for faeries and dragons coming up, and their societies will evolve over time for sure.

      Delete
  6. Is Talfryn a nod to Talfryn Carlton, too? Or do you just like that name? =)

    I like the dragonling's hair. Very cool. I'm curious who his father is, or does it even matter? The polyandry thing confuses me a bit, but it seems like a great deal for Tearhne. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like the name Talfryn. And as I just mentioned to Becky, all the other dragon names are Celtic origin, and so is Talfryn.
      His hair is the same as his mother's, but on the CC she uses, the texture blends the highlights more so you don't see the red/orange differences you see in Tal's EA hair. His father is Aymeri. It doesn't matter in the sense that they all will care for the child no matter who the father is, but they are aware who the father is.

      Polyandry doesn't occur very often, but it's usually found in societies that can't sustain large populations. Immortal species usually need some kind of limit on their breeding. For fairies, it's a low fertility rate. (In my story and in many other stories about fairies). For dragons, I'm going with a naturally higher birth rate for males than females, and a polyandrous societal structure that ensures that not every male will be breeding multiple times with his mate.
      I'm also very inspired for this by the Indian Epic, the Mahabharata, which features a polyandrous relationship the Pandava brothers have with their shared wife, Draupadi. All 5 brothers also have their own individual wives (as Indian society was normally polygamous in the ancient past), but they had this special circumstance that made them all marry this one woman together. I won't babble on about that, but I've always been fascinated by the tight brotherhood the Pandavas share, and the central role Draupadi plays in their epic (unlike the other wives, who mostly just show up to produce a child her and there).

      Delete
  7. I like the name Talfryn, too. Actually, all of your characters have really interesting names, but my favorite name of yours is Aislin, from your Foster Enmity legacy. I just think it's a beautiful and really unusual name, and I may have to use it for one of my own characters some day. May I ask why you chose Celtic names for the dragons? Nothing wrong with that of course, I'm just curious if there was any sort of reason or symbolism behind it. =)

    I wonder if Ico is going to be upset to learn that Aymeri has fathered a child with another woman/dragon. Interesting.

    And I don't mind babbling. =) I tried googling it, but unfortunately the week has tired out my brain and I didn't really understand the wikipedia article. (<-- A reliable source, I'm sure. ;) Anyway, it sounds fascinating. What was so special about Draupadi that society allowed her to have five husbands? Or maybe I should be asking why the five brothers all wanted to marry the same woman. Feel free to point me back to the wikipedia article. I'll probably try to read it again tomorrow anyway. =)

    Oh. One more question. (Sorry, I can't help myself! I'm just enthralled by all the lore.) Since the fairies and dragons are immortal, is your story going to take place over the course of several years or decades or even centuries? The reason I ask is that you mentioned that "right now" the humans are in the caveman stage. It will/would be fascinating to see them evolve in your magical world, if that's where you are going with it. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aislin is also a Celtic (Irish) name. A lot of my legacy characters get Celtic names because I just like them. In the case of choosing names for the dragons it's in part because dragons play a part in Celtic mythology.

      Draupadi was a princess who had been intended for marriage with Arjuna by her father, but his exile (along with his brothers and mother) squashed that deal. So a swayamvara was held for her hand (that's a 'self-choosing' in which eligible men present themselves to be chosen by the prospective bride. This particular swayamvara featured competitions for the men, with the idea that the champion would take the bride. Arjuna shows up in disguise, and being the greatest archer ever, he wins the archery competition and gets to marry Draupadi. So he takes her home and says to his mother 'Hey, guess what I won today!' and his mother, not knowing he was talking about a woman says 'Whatever it is, share it with your brothers'. So they all marry her so as not to defy their mother.
      It's likely that that part about Kunti (the mother) telling the brothers to share is a later addition meant to explain this very unusual polyandrous marriage, and that it originally just was part of the epic without being explained. The epic is mostly about a war of succession between cousins, the Pandavas and the Kauravas, and Draupadi personalizes the conflict by her demand for revenge against the main Kaurava, Duryodhana, who tried to have her publically stripped (a fate she was saved from only by a miracle). Whenever one of her husbands shows a lack of interest in pursuing this battle, she reminds them of this to inspire them back on the path to the throne.

      My story will take place over centuries, and the humans will evolve over the course of it. And will have to do a lot of set building, lol.

      Delete
    2. Didn't notice your reply before. That's so interesting about Draupadi. Thank you for the explanation! =)

      Delete
  8. Brys is a bit cruel! I wonder why they treat the fairies so! Well I am sure there is a reason for their laws, including their reason for being so secretive. I like Ico, she was brave to go to their nest like that heh, it shows she has some really strong feelings for that dragon aymeri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brys is cruelest of the bunch, it's true, and took an extreme position when it comes to protecting their secrecy. There will be other dragons who feel the same way. Dragons are pretty traditional, and changing their laws will be a tough sell.
      Ico does love her Aymeri.

      Delete
  9. Oh they've really rocked the boat now, huh? But, oh! That was so romantic that last line! *melts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what they've done will require a major shift in dragon society, not an easy thing. And, thanks, I'm a hopeless romantic, so I love writing those swoony scenes.

      Delete
  10. I was so worried that Ico was going to get killed but then he stood up to his nestmates. Awww he does love her. I am enjoying this too much, I think.

    Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PG!
      Nope, Aymeri wouldn't let her be killed. I'm so glad you are enjoying it. =D

      Delete
  11. Shame on you for starting another story and hiding it from me!

    Love the update. The characters already have me hopping mad with excitement. I love, love, love Ico and Aymeri's coupling scenes. I'm glad the brothers are standing by Aymeri, I have a feeling they'll need to stand together now that he's pledged his eternal devotion to Ico.

    I'll be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val! *hugs*
      I swear, I wasn't hiding it! But it's so nice to see you here. Aymeri has a very close relationship with his brothers, and he'll need them to stand with him in times to come.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. "for all eternity" --> Awesomest line EVER. I don't care if awesomest isn't a word, LOL! I like the blonde dragon too. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aymeri is very romantic dragon.
      Riain, the blonde one, is also one of my favorites. I like the quiet ones.

      Delete
  13. Interesting turnaround, that Tearhne decides they will keep their fairy and fight for her, against ancient law. But Aymeri had a good point, in that the dragons would have been discovered eventually, and perhaps because it was the two of them to meet, a less bloody resolution between the races (species?) can be brought about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tearhne really is taking a huge risk by accepting a fairy in her nest. But it is true, things couldn't have go on the same way forever, sooner or later fairies would discover the dragons' secret, and it is lot better for everyone that it was Ico who found Aymeri.

      Delete
  14. This is such an awesome amazing story to read AND look at. I can not even fathom the amount of time you must have spent on this. All these details and rich character history. Wow! I can't wait to get through the whole thing, but its gonna take me some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summerdream does take a lot of time to set up, shoot and write. Thanks so much for reading, and take your time!

      Delete
  15. I am glad they made up, but I wonder what this will mean for her people and his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aymeri and Ico did get together, and it's going to bring about some drastic changes in their world. Thanks for reading!

      Delete